Main Medical Causes Leading to Erectile Dysfunction
Age may be very important in determining the causes of erectile dysfunction. Men who fall under the age of 45 years may develop ED due to performance anxiety or the fear of failure. When the person keeps thinking about the possible failures, it can become a self-fulfilling prophecy. This can ultimately lead to devastating consequences.
There are various processes involved in having an erection. If any process is interrupted because of any reason, an erection might not materialise. If the individual is too drunk, tired or anxious, he might not be able to have an erection. normally it is understandable, but when this situation keeps repeating for quite many times, it may be called as erectile dysfunction. Performance anxiety has been a feature noticed in all types of erectile dysfunction. Among older men, this is more of a secondary reason than being the primary cause.
Common reasons that lead to erectile dysfunction in older men are:
- Prostate illnesses
- Low levels of testosterone
- Chronic illnesses
- Prescription medications
- Type II diabetes
- Arteriosclerosis (hardening of the arteries)
- Bad lifestyle habits
They can be normally treated using one or the other treatment methods. It is very important to diagnose the reason that is causing the erectile dysfunction as it will help in providing the appropriate treatment necessary. There are some important lifestyle factors that are very common for erectile dysfunction. Leaving the psychological issues aside, these lifestyle factors may have a huge impact on the severity of erectile dysfunction. Some of these daily habits include:
- Cigarette Smoking: When people smoke cigarettes every day, the arteries might harden because of the amount of nicotine present in the tobacco. Lack of a normal blood flow to the penis may cause erectile dysfunction.
- Alcohol Consumption: Single occurrences of erectile dysfunction may result from excessive drinking in a particular occasion. If this memory keeps affecting the individual, it may bud into some long term sexual dysfunction. If the person is a heavy alcoholic, it can cause tremendous damage to the liver leading to hormonal changes which can ultimately cause erectile dysfunction.
- Obesity and lacking proper fitness: Type II diabetes may result from obesity. It is relatively a very common cause as compared to the others. Having too much weight and being generally unfit will only have negative impact on the sex-life of the individual.
- Illicit Drugs: Using illicit or illegal drugs may have many other health issues, leaving erectile dysfunction aside. Abusing such substances will have a huge impact on the sex-life as well as the overall performance in bed. If the usage of drugs like cocaine, heroin or marijuana which are famous for dulling the senses are very habitual, it can lead to chronic erectile dysfunction.
Hence, keeping all the causes in mind, it is very necessary to diagnose the predominant cause of erectile dysfunction before treating it. The medical history of the individual along with the psychological causes should be checked throughly by a health care professional for effective results.